Cardholder FAQ | Espago
Rejected transactions, payments, refunds and complaints
There are several reasons why the bank issuing the card may reject payment. The most common reasons are: not activating online payments settings for the card (sometimes described as MOTO/eCommerce) or setting a limit that is too low for these types of payments. The exact cause of the decline and suggestions for solving the problem you can get from:
- Automatic email notification from Espago (if your Merchant provides your email address to Espago)
- Your Merchant (they receive information about the payment shortly after it is made).
- Your Bank - the bank decides whether your payment will be executed or rejected, this is best place to get information. You can contact your bank and ask them to explain the exact reason for the rejection (using the information about the card used, transaction time and merchant) and change card properties and limits.
If you have funds in your account that are used by the card but payments are being rejected with the code 51 "Lack of funds on the account" check the limits for online payment / MOTO on your account. By default, in most banks, the limit is set to "0", which means that internet payments are disabled.
This problem is often encountered with cards issued by ING Bank Ślaski (PL).
If you are using a credit card, it is possible that you have reached the credit limit of your card - this limit can be separate from your bank account state. In that case, you should pay off the card debt.
There is a group of payment cards, that can be used to one time payments with SCA, but are not suitable for recurring payments.
This problem occurs due to the bank's internal security policies for these cards. This problem affects some MasterCard cards issued by Bank Pekao SA and Alior Bank. The bank rejects payments made without the CVV / CVC code for security reasons but, at the same time, prevents the card from being charged in recurring payments.
If the card has appropriate limits set for internet / MOTO payments, but recurring payments are being rejected [eg. with rejection code 05, 14 or N7], it means that, regardless of the card / account settings, it is not possible to use this card to pay for the subscription. The only solution to this problem is to use a different card.
Folders of cards issued by mBank, who wish to make online payments using their cards must set 4 parameters for your card. In the web-panel of mBank, in the section for card settings there is tab available called "authorization limit of debit card" (pol: Limity autoryzacyjne karty debetowej) and in this section:
- Amount limits (Daily and Monthly):
- Transactions by correspondence and telephone (pol: Transakcje korespondencyjne i telefoniczne)- it means recurring payments and subscriptions, MOTO (eg. subscription for a service, monthly fee in the gym or fitness club, telephone order in some hotels, etc.).
- Internet transactions (pol: Transakcje internetowe) - all one-time payments online (eg. Online store)
- Quantitative limits (Daily and Monthly):
- Transactions by correspondence and telephone
- Internet transactions
Please check or set the daily and monthly amount and quantitative limits for "Internet transactions" and "transactions by correspondence and telephone" in your bank's website. They must be set to a sufficiently high amount.
New card from bank need to be activated by making some operation authorized using PIN, for example payment in shop, withdrawal from an ATM. Without this activation, even after setting high limits for MOTO/ecommerce payments your payments will be rejected with information about bad PIN, unsuccessful PIN verifying, etc.
There may be an error with the application/website of the Merchant. In this situation, it is best to contact him directly and describe the situation.
If you use an older device or computer system (eg Windows XP, Android smartphone older than 5 year), your browser may not be able to send card data using the secure and new HTTPS protocols. In this case, use a different browser or newer device. As of February 2018, Espago accepts only HTTPS connections with secure TLSv1.2 and TLSv1.1 protocols. List of systems that meet the gate's requirements:
- Windows 7 and later
- Android 4.4.4 and later
As Espago we realize all operations (payments, refunds) at the request of the Merchant. In order to obtain a refund, please contact your Merchant, and he will send us a request about refund.
When contacting Merchant, provide him information that will be helpful for him to identify your payment. This may be your login or email used in the store, your payment ID (in the form of pay_xxxxxxxxxxx) described in mail confirmation from Espago, or although the date and amount of the transaction.
In exceptional situations, if the contact with the Merchant was not possible or did not bring the expected results, you can file a complaint with your bank regarding card payments (the so-called chargeback).
Your refund should appear in your account no later than 14 days after the merchant initiates the return. Most often this is done within the first 2 days of return.
The return may take different forms depending on the date of its execution and from the bank:
- An original payment (or lock of funds) will simply disappear from your account if the refund was made on the day of payment and the payment has been reversed.
- A payout or negative payout will simply appear in your account if your refund was made at a later date.
- The refund may appear in the history of the bank account or on the card transaction list.
Sometimes the cause for misunderstanding on refunds is that the customer does not notice the refund (for example, because it is a negative-amount payment, or a card transaction for a positive amount) or a waiting for a payment, while the original charge has been reversed and disappeared from the account.
If after 14 days you still can’t find refund on your bill, please contact your bank directly and ask for it. After refund was made in our system, money are send back to your bank in one day and refund time depends on your bank only.
First, make sure:
- Check whether on your bank account you see payment for your Merchant or blocked amounts.
- Check, if automatic email from Espago concerns information about successful payment, not about rejection of payment.
- Verify, whether you lend someone your card (eg. a family member or friend) to pay for something on his account. Merchant perhaps checked only payments on your account, he can't search for your payment using card data because he knows only last 4 digit of your card.
If in fact your card was charged and the Merchant can not find it (or see as rejected, etc.) please pass to your Merchant as much information about the payment as you can (email from Espago, payments details from your bank account, date and time, the last 4 digits of the card number, etc.), and the Merchant will find the payment in gateway Espago or will contact us to clarify the situation.
If you want to pay online using your credit card please check and set in your bank account a sufficiently high limit for internet/ecommerce/MOTO transactions for your card. In most banks this is limit for common amount of payments per one day, but some banks have also separate limits for number of transactions per day, or limits per month.
In most cases, the default limit "0" (zero) means that this kind of transaction is disabled.
Espago has certificate Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) Level 1, which is international standard about security in credit card payments. Level 1 means implementing the highest rules, verified annually by independent auditors since 2011.
From all collaborating entities, we require the use of SSL / TLS, which is a way of encrypting data, ensuring the confidentiality and integrity of their transmissions. SSL secures communication between the user and the websites. Payments can additionally be protected with 3D-Secure security, which blocks unauthorized payment attempts.
Espago's solution makes possible to send card data directly from the user's device to the Espago Gateway, and the Merchant only receives access to the card identifier in Espago. Our security measures are designed to guarantee the highest possible protection, so you can be calm about your data.